Monday, January 19, 2009

A Question of Leadership

Can someone be a great leader if the direction he leads us is wrong?

I did not vote for Obama, nor do I agree with many of his positions. But I get a sense that people are getting behind him more so than in the recent past. I also get the feeling that at least for a little while, there will be great momentum towards getting a lot accomplished.

I've always been impressed by Obama's charisma. I've been impressed with his ability to garner support against great odds. He exudes confidence, and that confidence and hope seems to be contagious. These are traits of a great leader.

But is he really a great leader if the decisions he makes, while giving people hope in the short-run prove to be detrimental over the course of time? That's my greatest fear for his presidency.

People may be so blinded by this new hope that they overlook what Obama is actually accomplishing in office.

No comments: